- Kashton’s Story
June 20, 2019
When a fall left Kashton with severe burns, UF Health pediatric surgeons provided the specialized care he needed to get back on his feet…
- UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital nationally ranked in five specialties, makes big gains in three
June 19, 2019
UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital has been nationally ranked in five medical specialties, making significant gains in three areas — pediatric cancer, cardiology and heart surgery, and...
- Saleem Islam, M.D., to serve on the UF College of Medicine’s Curriculum Committee
June 5, 2019
Congratulations to Saleem Islam, M.D., for his appointment on the UF College of Medicine’s Medical Student Curriculum Committee. The committee serves as the faculty decision-making body...
- Five Department of Surgery Faculty Recognized as Exemplary Teachers
October 26, 2018
The following Department of Surgery faculty members have been recognized by the University of Florida as 2018 Exemplary Teachers: Jessica Cioffi, MD – assistant professor, division of surgical...
- Pediatric and adult ECMO program earns international award
August 7, 2018
UF Health teams who operate unique machines that help keep patients alive at their most vulnerable moments have been honored with an international award for excellence.
- UF’s chief of pediatric surgery recently elected to AAP Section on Surgery Executive Committee
June 1, 2018
Saleem Islam, MD, MPH, chief of pediatric surgery at the UF College of Medicine, was recently elected as the newest member of the American Academy of Pediatrics’ (AAP) Section on […]
- Saleem Islam, M.D., M.P.H., appointed to UF Society of Teaching Scholars
March 17, 2017
Saleem Islam, M.D., M.P.H., a professor and chief of pediatric surgery in the University of Florida College of Medicine, was recently appointed to the UF Society of Teaching Scholars. Current...
- Burn survivor resumes life as an active teenager
March 2, 2017
Tyrone Crawford Jr. loves sports. Coming from an athletic family, the Tallahassee teenager played his first football game at age 6. It was a passion that would continue through his […]
- Read the Fall 2016 issue of The Stitch
November 1, 2016
- Conjoined twins connected at the heart and liver successfully separated at UF Health
September 1, 2016
- Moiz M. Mustafa, M.D., joins division of pediatric surgery
August 25, 2016
Moiz M. Mustafa, M.D., has joined the University of Florida College of Medicine’s department of surgery in the division of pediatric surgery. He earned his medical degree from New Jersey...
- Read the Summer 2016 issue of The Stitch
August 7, 2016
- UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital recognized in nine medical specialties
June 22, 2016
- In the fight against sepsis, time means everything
June 15, 2016
In the world of sepsis treatment, the scale is vast and the cost is staggering. Every year, 258,000 people in the United States die from sepsis. Hundreds of thousands of others recover with...
- UF Health Children’s Surgical Center begins services at new location
May 13, 2016
Pediatric patients in Gainesville and the surrounding region now benefit from the expanded UF Health Children’s Surgical Center, which opened at its new location Friday, April 29.
- UF surgeons and graduates initiated as fellows in the American College of Surgeons
November 3, 2015
Five UF surgeons and three graduates of UF’s surgical residency program were initiated in October as fellows in the American College of Surgeons. The convocation took place in Chicago, the […]
- Seven UF surgeons named “Top Doctor” by Castle Connolly
September 25, 2015
Castle Connolly Medical Ltd., a well-known organization that rates health care providers, has named eight UF surgeons among the nation’s “top doctors” for 2015: Kenneth Andreoni, M.D.,...
- UF Department of Surgery Debuts Progress Report
May 26, 2015
- UF Health Children’s Surgical Center expands to meet community needs
April 27, 2015
As the need for specialized care for children grows, the UF Health Children’s Surgical Center is growing to meet it.
- UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital debuts a colorful new entrance, opens the Sebastian Ferrero atrium
September 10, 2014
UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital marked an important milestone on September 3 with the debut of a colorful new façade, a dedicated entrance and the opening of the Sebastian Ferrero […]
- UF Surgeons in the News – Gainesville Sun: Shands Children’s Hospital improves in national rankings
June 12, 2014
UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital rated high nationally in several specialties as U.S. News & World Report released its annual ranking of pediatric centers Tuesday. The hospital was...
- UF surgeons elected to national medical honor society
March 17, 2014
Saleem Islam, M.D., M.P.H., an associate professor of surgery in the department’s division of pediatric surgery, and Gabriela Velasquez, M.D., a fellow in the division of vascular surgery and...
- Southern Surgical Association honors Copeland, UF surgeons present at association meeting
January 24, 2014
Edward M. Copeland, M.D., a Distinguished Professor of Surgery in the UF College of Medicine and a previous chair of the department of surgery, was named an honorary fellow of […]
- UF Surgeons in the News – The Wall Street Journal: Circumcision Coverage Comes into Focus
January 22, 2014
This article by reporter Arian Campo-Flores explores the results of Florida’s decision to discontinue Medicaid coverage for routine circumcisions in newborns, as well as similar trends in other...
- New faculty member joins department of surgery’s division of pediatric surgery
December 23, 2013
Janice Taylor, M.D. earned her medical degree and a master’s degree in biomedical engineering from the Ohio State University and completed her residency in general surgery at the University of...
- UF Health surgeons release record survival rates for infants with congenital diaphragmatic hernia
November 22, 2013
University of Florida Health pediatric surgeons have published results from nearly 20 years of treating children with congenital diaphragmatic hernia, showing the highest published survival rate for a...
- Circumcisions in older boys and related costs skyrocket in Florida, UF Health study shows
November 13, 2013
Circumcisions in Florida boys over the age of 1 have increased dramatically in recent years, doubling costs to the state, a study by University of Florida Health surgical researchers shows. […]
- U.S. News ranks UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital as one of nation’s best
June 12, 2013
The University of Florida Health Shands Children’s Hospital has been recognized as one of the nation’s best hospitals for children in six medical specialties, including, for the first time ever,...
- University of Wisconsin pediatric surgeon gives Talbert lecture
May 10, 2013
Keith Oldham, M.D., professor and chief of the division of pediatric surgery at the Medical College of Wisconsin was this year’s guest speaker at the James Lewis Talbert Lectureship and […]
- UF Surgeons in the News – Gainesville Magazine: On Medicine’s Cutting Edge
October 19, 2012
- Ten UF surgeons named “top doctors”
October 2, 2012
Physician rankings on U.S. News & World Reports’ website show 10 UF surgeons are among the nation’s “top doctors,” as determined by Castle Connolly Medical Ltd., a well-known organization...
- Family travels from Russia to UF for baby’s lifesaving surgery
September 18, 2012
David Kays, M.D., a pediatric surgeon at UF&Shands, the University of Florida Academic Health Center, treated Russian mom Elena Akmanova’s newborn, Eva, after the baby was diagnosed with...
- UF&Shands program that oxygenates blood outside the body named a Center of Excellence
September 18, 2012
An international group focused on treatment for patients with organ system failure has bestowed its Award for Excellence in Life Support to the extracorporeal membrane oxygenation program at...
- Another chance for Olivia
August 15, 2012
Watching a Barney DVD in her bed, Olivia Salinas looks like a typical preschooler, except for the tracheostomy tube in her neck. But the 3-year-old girl from Tampa made history […]
- Breathing Free Again
January 13, 2012
It was a week of firsts for 8-year-old Brian Stanzione — first plane ride, first stay in a hotel and first visit to Florida. But Brian was not flying from […]
- Department of surgery welcomes new faculty members
October 27, 2011
The University of Florida’s department of surgery welcomes six new faculty members this fall to the acute care surgery team, and to the divisions of general surgery, pediatric surgery and […]
- A risky journey and a happy ending
October 3, 2011
Mandie and Robert Cokley and their son Patrick piled into their Lincoln Navigator on April 15 and began the 2,400-mile drive from their home in Bakersfield, Calif. to Gainesville. The […]
- Growing up
August 20, 2011
Underneath Jim Beau Reinhardt’s left lung, a synthetic patch stitched into place is helping him breathe. Jim Beau, who will turn 2 in November, was diagnosed with a congenital diaphragmatic...
- Eight UF surgeons included among country’s “top doctors”
August 12, 2011
Physician rankings on U.S. News & World Reports’ website show eight UF surgeons are among the nation’s “top doctors,” as determined by Castle Connolly Medical Ltd., a well-known...
- New Pediatric ER at Shands will enhance emergency care for children
June 24, 2011
Children are not small adults. This is never more evident than when an accident or urgent medical problem arises and parents need fast access to specialized care designed to meet […]
- Talbert lecture features expert in congenital diaphragmatic hernia treatment
April 15, 2011
Charles J.H. Stolar, M.D., surgeon-in-chief and director of pediatric surgery at Morgan Stanley Children’s Hospital, Columbia University Medical Center, was this year’s guest speaker at The James...
- Pediatric surgeon honored with Lifetime Achievement Award
July 31, 2009
James L. Talbert, M.D., an emeritus professor in the division of pediatric surgery, was awarded the UF College of Medicine’s Lifetime Achievement Award April 29 as part of the college’s […]
- Shands Children’s Surgical Center offers a look “sea” at its new renovations
May 31, 2009
A glimpse of the deep blue ocean has come to Gainesville in the form of the newly renovated Shands Children’s Surgical Center, which offered an Official Grand Opening look‘sea’ earlier […]
- The James Lewis Talbert Lectureship and Mini-Symposium Program
May 1, 2009
- UF pediatric surgery fellowship State’s first to earn national accreditation
March 6, 2008
The University of Florida College of Medicine’s pediatric surgery residency training program is the first in the state to earn national accreditation through the Accreditation Council for Graduate...